It turns out the version of ml_breakdownDragger that’s been available on this site for the last couple months didn’t actually work. I hadn’t noticed because I had done an update but never uploaded it. Anyway, it’s fixed now, so if you’ve run into an error please grab it again. Sorry about that!
A slight detour from your regular programming, I just wanted to quickly share that my dad’s house was finalled today. A year ago my siblings and I were struggling with what to do about this:
Over the past year, we’ve been so humbled and grateful to receive so much help and support from family, friends and strangers. A few days ago, this is what things looked like as a final work party was attending to the finishing touches:
So I just wanted to take a moment to say a heartfelt thanks to the kind people who helped us get here, whether I know you or not, you’ve helped to bring some measure of closure and relief to our family.
Thanks most of all to my sister and brother, who have spent so much of their energy driving this project. I love you guys.
It’s been a long time since I cut a reel and I’ve been meaning to for a while. Well, I finally got around to it! Ironically the newest work on here is still already a year and a half old:
For the breakdown you can check it out on Zerply. (If you haven’t tried doing a breakdown on Zerply, it’s pretty slick).
Next up I’ll try to put together a separate rigging reel, whenever I find the time to do this again.
There you have it:
This video from FXGuide is the best one I’ve seen so far in terms of going into a bit of detail around the work we did on Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and the different challenges faced by different disciplines at Weta, which is nice:
Let me know what you thought!
Empire Magazine has a first reaction to some footage that was recently screened from DotPotA, as well as a few images from the film. I’m pretty excited about how this movie is shaping up.
I’ve updated the Tools page to organize the scripts into two different categories, animation and rigging. I wanted to start adding some more simple rigging utilities, the first two new ones are Parent Shape and Reset Bind. ml_parentShape reparents shape nodes to other transforms, or unparents shapes from their transforms, and ml_resetBind resets skinCluster deformations after moving some joints around. They’re both pretty basic and straightforward, (and I’m sure they’ve been written before) but I figured I’d share them because I get a lot of use out of them in any case.
I’ve also added one new animation tool, ml_transferKeytimes. Again, a pretty basic utility, just copies the keytimes (not the keys) from any one node to a group of others. A use case for this is if you’ve set key poses on a root control, and you want a group of other controls to have all their keys set on the same frames as that one control, this can transfer keytimes while preserving animation (insofar as that’s possible).
Grab them from the Tools page!
So Dummy was built with a python tool-set which I’m calling Puppeteer. I’ve created a page to be a central place for this project as it continues to grow and evolve, and I plan on writing some more posts in the future to talk a bit more about some of the ideas behind it. I’ve also taken the plunge and created a facebook page as a way to promote this system and any future rigs, I’m not really sure what to expect from that as I’m not the most social media savvy individual. But if it gets enough attention it may become a bit of a hub for information about Puppeteer developments.
The final part of this equation is that I’m testing the waters to see what sort of interest people may have in Puppeteer as a rigging service, so feel free to get in touch if you’d like more information about that.
Thanks for reading!
I believe this is what was shown for the VES awards: